BENTLEY TARGETS NÜRBURGRING 24H FOR 2015
- Bentley outlines expanded racing programme for 2015
- Set to include ADAC Zurich 24h Race at the legendary Nürburgring
- Toughest endurance race in the world to test the Continental GT3
(Crewe, 19th June 2014) On the eve of the 2014 ADAC Zurich 24h Race at the Nürburgring in the Eifel Mountains in Western Germany, Bentley announces its aim to compete in the 2015 endurance marathon.
The speed and reliability of the new Continental GT3 racer, based on the renowned Continental GT road car, were proven with a determined win at the Silverstone round of the Blancpain Endurance Series last month in only the car’s second competitive race. Now, Bentley’s Motorsport Division is already looking to next year, with the world-famous Nürburgring 24h race set to be part of the team’s 2015 calendar alongside another full season of the Blancpain Endurance Series. Other races are also under consideration as part of an extended Bentley motorsport programme that will also be open for customer teams.
Bentley’s Member of the Board for Engineering, Rolf Frech, comments: “We’ve been looking to compete at the Nürburgring ever since we announced our return to racing in 2012, but we knew that we had to develop and prove the capabilities of our Continental GT3 first. The 24-hour race at the Nürburgring is one of the toughest, at the pinnacle of sports car racing, but with our season of learning in 2014 and with the Continental GT3 already being a race-winner, we feel confident in targeting the event for 2015. Personally, I can’t wait to take on the best of the competition at the most gruelling racetrack in the world.”
Further details on Bentley’s 2015 race programme will be revealed in due course.
- ENDS -
Product and Motorsport Communications Manager
Head of Media Communications
+44(0)7415 499 252
Bentley Motors Ltd
Notes to editors
- The Continental GT3 is a derivative of the Continental GT, the most successful model Bentley ever. Today the Continental range reaches from the Continental V8 with 507 PS to the Continental GT Speed with 635 PS. Completing the current range is the new Continental GT3-R, the most dynamic Continental ever and inspired by the Continental GT3, limited to just 300 examples worldwide.
- The Continental GT3 project is proud to be working with ExxonMobil, who have joined the team as a key sponsor. Using ExxonMobil’s proven success in motorsports and a track record of helping bring home championships, Bentley’s V8 race engine will be filled with Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil, to ensure maximum engine protection and performance in the gruelling environment of endurance racing.
- When Bentley launched the Continental GT, then the most powerful Bentley ever built, Breitling lent the revolutionary new luxury car an extra personal touch by participating in the design of the technical instruments and creating onboard clock. Following a successful collaboration during Bentley’s renowned Le Mans campaign from 2001 to 2003, Breitling has returned as a key sponsor of the Continental GT3 project.
- The Continental GT3 programme is also sponsored by premium British audio experts Naim. For both Bentley and Naim, an enduring relationship with customers is core to the philosophy. Both are proud of their British heritage and reputation for offering their customers the very best products in their respective industries. Naim’s highly specialised team of world-class engineers and designers have a passion and commitment to music that enables them to deliver what is considered by many audio enthusiasts – and their loyal customer base – to be the finest range of audio equipment available in the world today
- Bentley Motors employs around 3,700 people in Crewe which is home to all its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury vehicle manufacturers such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley exports over £1bn worth of goods in 2012. The company is the third largest R&D investor in the UK's automotive sector and the 18th largest nationally.