BENTLEY RETURNS TO DEFEND GT ASIA SERIES TITLE
- Bentley Team Absolute enters three Continental GTs into GT Asia Series
- The official Asian partner team looks to defend its teams’ title
- Three strong line-ups all “capable of victory” in the drivers’ championship
4 May 2016, Crewe – Bentley Team Absolute has announced its GT Asia Series title defence driver line-up and confirmed it will enter three Continental GT3s into the six round championship starting at Korea International Circuit in two weeks time.
In 2015, experienced and respected race preparation outfit Team Absolute became Bentley’s Asian partner team. Together, the pair experienced great success and went on to win the manufacturer’s championship title.
As well as firmly setting its sights on defending this accolade, a line-up of familiar names to the team will return with a host of new faces, all aiming to scoop the highly sought-after GT Asia teams’ trophy.
Former Audi R8 LMS Cup-winner Adderly Fong (HK), who took the GT Asia drivers’ title down to the wire last season, will return to the team with up-coming Korean super-star Andrew Kim in car #7.
In car #8, Jonathan Venter, who helped last year’s drivers’ champions take the lead before a cycling injury curtailed his season, joins the team at full health. The young Australian will be joined by Fong’s ex-teammate and 2015 drivers’ title runner-up Keita Sawa (JP).
New to GT Asia, but not new to Bentley Team Absolute, Pirelli World Challenge driver Andrew Palmer (US) has been drafted into car #9 alongside multiple-Super Car Thailand-winner Vutthikorn Inthraphuvasak(TH).
“In our line-up we have six different nationalities of drivers, four of whom are from Asia, so our team really represents racing across this continent,” commented Team Principal Ingo Matter. “At each of the six races we will have a driver racing the Bentley Continental GT3 on their home soil, which is something they are incredibly proud of.
“We narrowly missed out on the GT Asia Series drivers’ title last year – just one point separated the top two teams going into the final race. This year, we are determined to add the drivers’ title to the teams’ title we won last year and we are confident we have three line-ups capable of victory.”
The 2016 GT Asia Series kick starts with the Korea International Circuit on 17 May and fans can watch the live stream on the website www.gtasiaseries.com
Adderly Fong, car #7: “I’m happy that in 2016 I will once again be racing with Bentley Team Absolute Racing. I’m really looking forward to this opportunity to once again fight for the GT Asia Series title.”
Jonathan Venter, car #8: “It’s fantastic to be joining last year’s teams’champions in 2016. We have the team, the driver line-up and the car to win what is becoming one of the top GT championships in the world.”
Andrew Palmer, car #9: “I’ve been racing with Bentley Team Absolute in Pirelli World Challenge and I’ve been super impressed with the team. Racing in Asia is a new experience for me but I’ve been racing with Adderly in America, and am really excited to get to work with him in Asia. I have been able to show him my favorite parts of American culture and racing and now he can do the same in Asia!”
Notes to editors
- Bentley Motorsport is based at the Bentley Motors headquarters in Crewe. From there, the operation runs Bentley Team M-Sport, and oversees three Works-supported teams around the world.
- The Continental GT3 is built by the Bentley motorsport team in conjunction with M-Sport. The Bentley GT3 team is led by Bentley Director of Motorsport, Brian Gush supported by M-Sport’s Chief Engineer, Christian Loriaux.
- Bentley Motors’ headquarters in Crewe is home to all of its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production of the company’s four model lines, Continental, Bentayga, Flying Spur and Mulsanne. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury car brands
Product and Motorsport Communications Manager
Motorsport Communications Officer
Bentley Motors Ltd