BENTLEY RACES TO FIRST VICTORY IN NORTH AMERICA
- Bentley Boy Guy Smith sets unstoppable pace in Utah
- The first ever victory for Bentley Motorsport outside Europe
- Continental GT3 shows prodigious pace after half a season of the Pirelli World Challenge
(Crewe, 16th September 2014) Bentley made history again this weekend with its first ever motorsport victory outside of Europe. Taking first and third place at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah in the penultimate race of the 2014 Pirelli World Challenge championship, Bentley’s motorsport credentials continue to grow.
2003 Le Mans winner and long-standing Bentley Boy Guy Smith continued to prove that the Bentley Continental GT3 is a potent race winner, delivering the fastest lap in morning practice, pole position in the afternoon and a race win in the evening. His inaugural win in the Pirelli World Challenge came in just his third outing in the car in the U.S., and was the perfect celebration of his 40th birthday.
After the race, Guy comments:
“I quite like being 40 - it seems to be a good age for me! Thanks to Dyson Racing Team Bentley, and Bentley Motorsport, for giving me a car that was so good in practice, qualifying and the race. We’re still working on our standing starts so I lost places on the opening lap, but the car felt fantastic and I was able to push hard to get back to the front. I’m really thrilled to score Bentley’s first win in America before the end of the season.”
The historic victory was made even sweeter by another strong performance by Butch Leitzinger in the second Continental GT3, who joined Guy on the podium by finishing third.
Bentley’s Director of Motorsport, Brian Gush, sees the victory as the next stage of progress for the Continental GT3 programme:
“I’m delighted for everyone at Dyson Racing Team Bentley. Their operation has been impressive from the moment they took delivery of their Continental GT3s, and this first win is a fantastic and well-deserved result. The Continental GT3 is now a race-winner on two continents, and as we develop our plans to introduce the car in more countries around the world I’m hoping that’s a tally that we can add to.”
Dyson Racing Team Bentley will now look forward to the 2015 Pirelli World Challenge season, with testing beginning in a month’s time. Meanwhile, Guy returns to Europe to complete the Blancpain Endurance Series with M-Sport Bentley, with the final round being the Nürburgring 1000 km this coming weekend.
- ENDS -
Notes to editors
- The Continental GT3 is built by the Bentley motorsport team in conjunction with M-Sport. The Bentley GT3 team is led by Bentley Director of Motorsport, Brian Gush supported by M-Sport’s Chief Engineer, Christian Loriaux. M-Sport was originally formed in 1979, and in 1994 M-Sport won national rally titles in Italy, Portugal, the Middle East and Britain, the latter with founder Malcolm Wilson himself behind the wheel. Since 1996, M-Sport has run Ford’s WRC campaigns, including winning two FIA World Rally Championships in 2006 and 2007.
- The Continental GT3 project is proud to be working with ExxonMobil, who have joined the team as a key sponsor. Using ExxonMobil’s proven success in motorsports and a track record of helping bring home championships, Bentley’s V8 race engine will be filled with Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil, to ensure maximum engine protection and performance in the gruelling environment of endurance racing.
- In 2002, Bentley launched the Continental GT, then the most powerful Bentley ever built. Breitling lent the revolutionary new luxury car an extra personal touch, by participating in the design of the technical instruments and, importantly, creating the onboard clock. Following a successful collaboration during Bentley’s renowned Le Mans campaign from 2001 to 2003, Breitling returned as a key sponsor of the Continental GT3 project.
- The Continental GT3 programme is also sponsored by premium British audio experts Naim. For both Bentley and Naim, an enduring relationship with customers is core to the philosophy. Both are proud of their British heritage and reputation for offering their customers the very best products in their respective industries. Naim’s highly specialised team of world-class engineers and designers have a passion and commitment to music that enables them to deliver what is considered by many audio enthusiasts – and their loyal customer base – to be the finest range of audio equipment available in the world today.
- Bentley Motors’ headquarters in Crewe is home to all of its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production of the company’s three model lines, Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury car brands such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley employs around 3,700 people at Crewe.
Product and Motorsport Communications Manager
Head of Media Communications
+44(0)7415 499 252
Bentley Motors Ltd